Car hire these days revolves around finding the best deal online, booking it with your credit card, and crossing your fingers that the cheap car you have just paid for, is not so cheap it does not work. True, finding a bargain rental car is a fulfilling challenge, however, before you plunge in, credit card in hand, consider the following:
1. The Extras: Every cheap car hire agreement comes with extras. Whether it is a full tank of fuel, a minimum number of days, insurance with excess, baby seats, or delivery costs, cheap car rental is cheap because it is basic. So, make sure you consider the cost of all the extras you will need and add that amount to the final price before you click BOOK NOW.
2. The Alternatives: Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in the joy of finding the lowest price available on the internet, that you forget that for just a few extra dollars, pounds, or euros, you might find a much better deal overall. So do not just settle for the lowest price…compare the three lowest prices you can find, then look to see what you will get for paying just a little more on other websites. In many instances, you will find that online discounts available will even out the car rental price difference and give you a pleasant surprise.
3. Reputation & Service: It is hard to convey the value of reputation and good service, however with car hire, this comes in the form of quality cars that do not break down, 24/7 service and availability, contact details that actually work, and more often than not, a friendly smile as well. When looking for the best value hire car, then it always pays to use a company that will provide you with peace of mind in addition to a car that works. Family-run companies are often excellent examples of this.
4. Your Car Hire Needs: Consider where you will be taking your hire car and for how long you will need it every day. A convertible jeep is wonderful to take to the beach, but not so necessary for shuttle trips along the highway, or shopping trips around town, when a closed top car would be more appropriate and more likely, cost less.
5. Your Personal Needs: There is nothing worse than feeling squashed when you are travelling. If you are travelling with a baby, then the car seat will take up a little extra room on each side; if you are particularly tall, then a compact car may inhibit your ability to drive comfortably; if you are a bit larger in size, especially in hot countries, it may become uncomfortably warm. Additionally, if you like to shop or travel with a considerable amount of luggage, your rental car will need to be able to cope with the load also.
6. Are You Really Getting A Bargain? The saying “A bargain is only a bargain if you need it” is so true. Too often we get caught up with the amount we are saving to see the amount we are spending and what we are spending it on. There is no point renting a car for one week at a better price per day, if you only need it for two days and would spend less overall by doing so at a higher daily rate. Found a price that seems too good to be true? It probably is. Read online reviews to see what other people think about the same company and the quality of their hire cars and service.
7. Be Prepared: Make a list of what you want from your car hire and rental company before you even begin looking online and stick to it. Then find the lowest priced rental that fulfils all the criteria on your list. In this way, you can ensure you get the best cheap car hire available for you.